Friday 25 August 2017

I feel fantastic.

Every year the school adopts a ternero (calf) for the primary school to look after.  This little fellow arrived this week and runs the risk of being loved to death.


It's been a bit of a mini holiday for us this week.  Monday was a public holiday and Friday is a pupil free day.  We think this three on - three off lifestyle has a lot going for it.  


When the students are asked How are you in English, they reply with a stock standard, Fine and you? (with an upward intonation on you to show it’s a genuine question).  I’ve been teaching my class different responses from Very well thank you to Absolutely fantastic.  This week I wanted to teach On top of the world to my grade 3 class.  I drew a picture of the world.

What’s this?
            The moon.  Luna.
No.  It’s Earth, the world.
            It’s the moon.
No, it’s the world.  Here’s Australia and here’s South America.
            It’s the moon.  Es luna.  It’s a planet. 
Yes.  It’s our planet, Earth, the world.  (I drew a picture of a man on top of the world.)
            It’s dios.  Dios.  God.  It’s God.
No.  It’s just a man on top of the world.  He’s happy, he’s on top of the world.
            What country is he on?
It doesn’t matter which country.  The important thing is that he is happy and feels on top of the world.
            I don’t understand.
This is the world and this man is on top of it.
            Why?
Let’s just stick with “Fine, and you?”
           


No comments:

Post a Comment